Convert to Fit!

Talkin' 'bout the guild!

Convert to Fit!

Postby Voldreg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Hey everyone,

Over the past several years, I have put on several unwanted pounds and let my general health decline rapidly. I went from eating very little and being small as a kid into my twenties to chomping on fast food everyday and becoming obeese. All while feeling very helpless and terrible about what I've let myself become. I've dedicated many an hour to playing Warcraft and none to my overall health and well-being. I've started to see the same behaviors and bad health choices come from my children. Hearing my son say he doesn't want to play soccer because it makes him too tired was a wake-up call for me. So I'm going to do something about it. That's when the idea for Convert to Fit was born.

Along the way to a healthier me, I thought maybe I can help others as well. This is such a great community with a common interest, WoW. Why not have a common interest in fitness? We help each other level, raid together, and all sorts of collaboration. I'm hoping this is one more thing we can work together on. I'm certain there are others in this community that may be in the same situation as me and maybe are looking for that little extra kick to start to transform their health and fitness as well. Soooo here it goes.

I've started exercising and cutting out pop (soda if you're not from the mid-west like me ;-) ) and other junk food from my diet. I'm going to post my results here, and I'm hoping in the process others will join in and let us know how they're doing as well. Maybe you've never exercised a day in your life. Maybe you've already begun your journey to a healthier you. Maybe you've always been and fit and have some great tips and want to cheer others on. All positive contributions are welcome here!

I'm getting a lot of support from friends at work and I know getting more support can only help. I hope this will be a place of motivation for myself and other folks who want to get fit. When we have more places for support and encouragement, we can only be more likely to succeed. I'm going do it. Won't you please join me?
Voldreg

Re: Convert to Fit!

Postby Voldreg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:32 pm

To get the ball rolling, here's where I'm starting at: I'm 6' 0" tall and weigh 250 lbs. My initial plan is to exercise and eat better for one month and see where that gets me. I've joined a fitness center with friends from work and I'm going to try and work out at least 3 times a week. A busy work schedule hopefully won't keep me away.

AND to really show you my dedication here are my before pics. Good God, I must be crazy :)

IMG_1447 by Voldreg, on Flickr
Voldreg

Postby Rulueashk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:12 pm

You are an inspiration. I'm going to close my computer & put my pedometer on right now.
Rulueashk

Postby Cohumulone » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey man, good luck to you! I've been trying to shed some pounds lately too! Dropped about 15 in the last monht but I've not been eating right the last week :O

Wife got me to join a gym as a family so I've been messing around with that.
Cohumulone

Postby Louuie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Good for you!

I too am getting into better shape, mainly for my wedding in october, but I did put on a few lbs since moving from NY to Chicago... Unfortuantely being an adult does that I suppose...

My first word of advice?

Don't try to find time for the gym... You won't. You will not wake up on your day off, or be on your way home from work and think to yourself "Gee... This is a great time to go to the gym..." It won't happen.

You need to make time. Plan it. It needs to be part of your day.Sit down and examine your average week. Find the time in your week and set it there. That time is dedicated to the gym. If you do not set a time and just hope you stumble upon the time throughout the week, you won't go there. Ask me how I know. I spend almost 200 dollars a month between my gym membership and personal training. That isn't even enough to motivate me to go as regularly as I should... Not fitting into my wedding dress? that did. Looking at pictures from a year ago to now? That did. Feeling very accomplished after a good work out? That helps.

Make the time. Do not find it.

And when you're there, make a plan of attack... Don't just say "okay.. I'm going to go to the gymn from 8am until..." Set a time. If I have to dress at the gym I do not count that as work out time. Anything extra adds to my visit. That motivates me to get there, work out for whatever time I've designated, without farting around. No standing around talking to friends, I've run into my Dad at the gym before, rather than standing at chatting we'll move to equipment by each other and chat. No idle time. It adds to the time I'm there, and not accomplishing my goals.

I wish you the best of luck and I cannot wait to see your progress!

Louu <3
Louuie

Postby Makohesten » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Voldreg wrote:To get the ball rolling, here's where I'm starting at: I'm 6' 0" tall and weigh 250 lbs. My initial plan is to exercise and eat better for one month and see where that gets me. I've joined a fitness center with friends from work and I'm going to try and work out at least 3 times a week. A busy work schedule hopefully won't keep me away.

AND to really show you my dedication here are my before pics. Good God, I must be crazy :)

IMG_1447 by Voldreg, on Flickr

I think you're awesome.
Makohesten

Postby Kurtimus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Awesome stuff, Voldreg. 12 months ago I was in pretty much the same spot, I was really disappointed in the way I had let myself put on weight over the school year. I took control of it, though, lost 80 pounds in just over 8 months, and am now at a healthy weight and much happier with my lifestyle. I could go on about what it is specifically I did, but I think it's best if you do the research yourself, as I'm sure you will. I will give two pieces of advice, though.

The first is to disassociate exercise and weight loss. Whether you lose or gain weight is entirely related to how many calories you consume. Exercise can be a tool to help increase your daily energy expenditure, but it's not required. Some people find exercise helps bring their diet into line, others will find that it causes them to reward themselves with food and overeat, so figure out what works for you. The first step I would take, were I in your shoes, or were I to do it myself over again, is to look up a food tracker like My Fitness Pal online, and just get used to rigorously tracking what you're eating every day. You can lose weight eating twinkies if you like, so long as you watch your calories. Whether or not you'll get enough nutrients is something else entirely, but mostly unrelated to weight loss. Anyway, I digress.

The second is, you can do this. Assuming you live somewhere in North America, then weight loss remedies are going to bombard you on every magazine cover and internet blog. Celebrities that lose 10 or 15 pounds will be held up as gods and goddesses who have achieved the impossible. Dr. Oz will reach into his bag of 'weight loss secrets' for his bi-monthy article in a miscellaneous health and wellness magazine. Infomercials will talk about their new herbal pill while overly tanned and oiled models pose for their before and after pictures. Relatives will bemoan their own lack of weight loss success while helping themselves to another serving of dessert. I'm ranting now, but really, it's all crap, mostly people just want you to think it's harder than it is, either because they're trying to sell you something or because they're trying to justify their own lack of success. Assuming you are otherwise healthy, it's really not that hard to lose weight, with a little bit of planning and self discipline. Go look at the progresspics section on reddit if you get discouraged, there are plenty of ordinary people who have lost monumental amounts of weight. Stick with it, and you will be successful. You can do this.
Image Image
Kurtimus

Postby Voldreg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the support and advice. It's going to be a long journey, but I'm prepared to win it for the long haul.
Voldreg

Postby Ariyah » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:21 pm

I definitely need to lose weight.
Just started a couch to 5k program and so far it's going well ( but then it's only been a few days ).
I'd love more support, but not sure about posting a lot of personal stuff on a public forum like this!
Ariyah

Postby Voldreg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:27 am

Hi Ariyah,

Feel free to post what ever you feel comfortable with. No personal info required. I'm just sharing as much as I am because it feel it holds me more accountable. I just want people to share their successes and encourage others on to a more fit self. I'm glad to here you getting started on your own journey!
Voldreg

Next

Return to General Guild Discussion