Swears in gchat / CTRLFG

Talkin' 'bout the guild!

Swears in gchat / CTRLFG

Postby froggychaos » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:48 pm

Hey guys
So i'm just curious why we care about swears when blizzard has a mature language filter? It's not a deal breaker for me, I can handle holding back on talking like I normally do with guildies. Its a fair trade off for the raiding benefits of being part of CTR. But when trying to convince my wife to join the ranks it was definitely a deal breaker. Its really unfortunate given that she is always on the lookout for LGBT friendly gaming groups. I feel like CTR would be a great fit for her, but she can't get past this requirement. Ultimately it seems like if swears really offend you (which I've never understood but w/e lol) blizzard has provided you with the tools to filter it anyway.

Anyway just my two cents..
froggychaos

Re: Swears in gchat / CTRLFG

Postby PatKrane » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:43 am

froggychaos wrote:Hey guys
So i'm just curious why we care about swears when blizzard has a mature language filter? It's not a deal breaker for me, I can handle holding back on talking like I normally do with guildies. Its a fair trade off for the raiding benefits of being part of CTR. But when trying to convince my wife to join the ranks it was definitely a deal breaker. Its really unfortunate given that she is always on the lookout for LGBT friendly gaming groups. I feel like CTR would be a great fit for her, but she can't get past this requirement. Ultimately it seems like if swears really offend you (which I've never understood but w/e lol) blizzard has provided you with the tools to filter it anyway.

Anyway just my two cents..

Hey there!

There are a couple of things at play here, at least in my mind.

First up, we're trying to serve a very diverse audience. We've got a lot of people from around the world in our guild, and all of 'em have varying opinions on... well, everything... including language tolerance and whether or not they want to turn on the language filter or not.

Another reason -- kids. We do have some kids that play in our guild, and we're trying to make our public environments safe for everyone. Again, I don't know whether or not they (or their parents) are filtering stuff, and I don't think they should have to worry about it.

Third thing is this: degradation of gchat. I've seen funny things happen when it comes to adult language in this game and others. That language can be used in so many different ways, read so many different ways by others, and really... I feel like it's used to disrespect people a lot more than it's used as a happy exclamation. I think gchat should be better than trade chat, and this is one way to start doing that.

Please know that this policy only applies to public channels. It doesn't apply to private channels, individual raid teams, private mumble channels, etc. We just want everyone to try to elevate their behavior so that we can all play together and have fun. The officers also try to understand that slip ups happen, and that most of us are normal, respectful adults just trying to have fun in the game. Just don't be too surprised if one of us tries to nudge you away from doing it again.

I hope that answers your question!
GM of the Convert to Raid Guild
Also: Mhug, Ichabodd, Tikitembo, Sunnava, Morsel, Chugger
PatKrane

Return to General Guild Discussion