Cycling 117Miles for Charity Event - Pls help by Donating

Talkin' 'bout the guild!

Cycling 117Miles for Charity Event - Pls help by Donating

Postby Amanzi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:33 pm

Hi all,

I know that I have left this extremely late but…whilst your all leveling for WOD I will be riding my Bike for charity.

I have decided to take on a challenge completely out of the ordinary … I have decided to join a group of crazy enthusiastic cyclists and participate in the Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge dressed as a cow TWICE…
The outfit reminds me of the Cow level mobs from Diablo :D, Just with a blazing red cape.

You are probably thinking that I have finally lost my marbles, not so! One of the main events of The Cows each year is the 94.7 Cycle Challenge and they have managed to raise more than R17 million since 2008. The Cows remain committed to extending their success throughout South Africa with the purpose of FUNdraising for CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation SA.

· Click here simonbromfield.givengain.org
· Click on ‘Riding the 94.7 Cycle Challenge TWICE as a cow’
· Click on the RED DONATE button and donate now to my noble cause!

WHAT IS CHOC? CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation SA has for 33 years stood together to support children with cancer and their families. Childhood cancers and blood disorders affect 1 in 600 children under the age of 16. Childhood cancer is a reality; it does not discriminate; does not care where you live; does not care about your bank balance or the colour of your skin. CHOC keeps hope alive for all children in South Africa as they know that children are our future.

CHOC uses the funds raised by the Cows to fund specific projects. The projects that have been chosen for 2014 are:

Hospital Upgrade - The KZN team are one of the most vibrant and enthusiastic members of The Cow and CHOC family. So this year we will be ensuring that all kids that pass through the Paediatric Oncology Ward at Grey's Hospital, Pietermaritzburg feel that The Cows have been there and that the environment is as pleasant as any private hospital in the country.
Accommodation - Albert Luthuli Hospital is the main centre for paediatric Oncology care in KZN. This year, The Cows will fund accommodation in the lodge on the hospital ground for the kids and their families.

Social Workers - Psycho-social support is imperative to all families and children that are affected by childhood cancer, these 'angels' work with the very delicate subject of emotions and assist the families in dealing with the treatment of cancer, palliative care and bereavement. This year we will fund the salaries of 6 social workers that will be posted to Johannesburg, East London and Bloemfontein hospitals.

Transport - The need for a Quantum van or similar for the Western Cape is massive to ensure that the kids get safely to and from the hospital.

Awareness - To improve awareness, The Cows will provide an Avanza or similar vehicle for the Eastern Cape to enable the Paediatric Oncology nurse to travel to outlying clinics and to improve the level of awareness of the early signs of childhood cancer amongst the healthcare professionals

Once we are finished the first lap of the race we will be starting again and going out there to help other Cow’s less fortunate than us to try finish it again :?

Total distance that we will be covering will be around 188km(117Miles for those in the northern hemisphere)

I will not be stopping here and will be looking to do the Dusi Canoe Marathon (120km) and some other crazy events next year as well.

The race is on the 16th of November and I need to raise around $1500.00 for my cause. Because I have left this really late, if get my milestone I will follow this up by running the 32km Tough one race the following weekend (23rd of November) in my special Thor cow suite… Photograph proof will be supplied.
Dollars go a very long way in South African Rands as the exchange rate is R11.00=$1.00. anything you can give really will make a huge difference.

Thanks to everybody that donates

Regards,
Simon(Amanzi)
Amanzi

Re: Cycling 117Miles for Charity Event - Pls help by Donatin

Postby Amanzi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi All,
I hope your leveling experience is going well.
Tomorrow morning at 4am I'll be starting this Epic Adventure. I'm still a little short on donations and every Dollar is going to a very deserving cause. So whilst you are still battling to log into AP. please take a look at simonbromfield.givengain.org and donate anything that you want.
as little as $5.00 goes a long way in helping the lives of children with Cancer.
I know that there are alot of scams and things out there but I promise Choc is a fantastic organisation that does amazing things for Children.

Thanks a million,
regards,
Amanzi
Amanzi

Re: Cycling 117Miles for Charity Event - Pls help by Donatin

Postby Amanzi » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:07 am

HI all,
I would just like to say a big thank you to all of the people that donated to this cause. we manage to raise just shy of $1000.00 for Choc.
Donations are still open until the end of the month so if you are still wanting to make a donation it would be greatly appreciated.
The Race went really well. I was just able to do the first lap in time to start the second lap. we did the first lap in 3:08, which was really fast for me. the Second lap was a lot of fun. We had been asked to catch up to the people riding on Ice cream bikes and help them to finish.
I managed to catch up and help 3 of them before settling on helping a bike being ridden by a very determined young lady. we helped her by pushing the bike up all of the hills and towing her on the flats. We also where able to participate in all of the festivities along the route. stopping at the Tequila stands(Free tequila to any person mad enough to have one on race day) several Beer stops and we even stopped to dance on one of the stages :)
The second lap took 5h28 and we really had a great time.
Amanzi

Return to General Guild Discussion