The great ILVL debate

Talkin' 'bout the guild!

The great ILVL debate

Postby Skiman86#1729 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 am

Greetings everyone. I am sure that most, if not all of us listen the ctr podcast. The past few episodes have discussed ilvl requirements and how they are used. Over the past few weeks I have been routinely told that I am not geared enough to run flex (at the start I was about ilvl 500).

Last night I got fed up with this. So I started my own flex group, the average ilvl was 504. Way below what everyone has been telling me is needed. To make it all the sweeter we had a healer who was trying to dps for the first time, a healer trying tank their first flex, a dps attempting to tank, people who had never been into SoO, and I may have been sipping the spicy water between pulls (and durring hic!). What happened was magical as we cleared through the raid in a little over an hour, no wipes at all, fun was had, loot was dropping (yay end of dry spell). I'd like to think everyone had fun, and learned something from that raid, even if it's to have faith in yourself. I was disheartened to see some people so scared to try new stuff, or even enter the raid group because they did not have a full set of lfr gear.

I challenge all of you to look past the ilvl and at the player. Skill will make up for 10 or 15 ilvl points. Give people a shot at it and you may be presently surprised.

To help encourage this I will be hosting "the peoples flex" every Wednesday night going forward. The peoples flex will take anyone half decently geared, who knows their class and the fights. I encourage all to come, show the world that while you may not have capped you vp in ages, you have capped your skill to make up for it!

Valkras Holy Paladin
Skiman86#1729

Re: The great ILVL debate

Postby Turarts » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:21 pm

I would love to get this on our flex calendar. Let me know what time you guys start and approx how long you go or how much you run! Get a hold of me if you have any questions
Turarts

Postby Skiman86#1729 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks for the support Turarts! I'll send you a message in game when I'm in game.
Skiman86#1729

Postby mightbechris » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:00 pm

Totally on board with this! The People's Flex, I love it! Let me know the times as well. If I'm on I'll mos def lend a hand.
mightbechris

Postby Grumpyhaus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:19 am

You sir are doing Sargeras's work. Keep it up and thank you.
Grumpyhaus

Postby Skiman86#1729 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:52 pm

Sorry to leave this thread dead, I have heard from a few you on my brief stints online about this. Alas term papers and kids falling out of beds this weekend have ravaged my free time.

So starting 3/5 at 9 EST (Is that 6 server right?) running until midnight (9 server?), doing as many flex bosses as possible.

Bring me your weak, under geared (But gemmed, reforged and enchanted that you know how to play) toons and lets kill some bosses together.

Some have asked what level of "Knowing the fight" they should have. I for one hate LFR, but I would recommend doing it at least once as there is no substitute for experience, but you can also watch videos online, read strats, or even the in game guide.
Other questions

"I just hit 90, can I come?" While I love the attitude, some level of gearing is needed for things like DPS checks, raid damage and such. I suggest obtaining timeless isle gear, some of the nice JP\VP gear and maybe some older LFR gear. It rains epics in those older LFR queues everyone, I mean they fall from the sky. I'd like to at least people around the 500's. It took me a few days of playing to get that much.

"Can I try this role, I never did it in flex before" Have you played the role before? Are you confident in your abilities to perform said role? If you said yes then my answer is YES!
I love to see new people trying new roles, and I want to encourage people to try that, you may be missing out on the most fun you have ever had! But please be honest coming in, raiding is a team environment and we need to know that we can depend on you. If you got that tank set healing and just put the abilities on your action bars you will want to practice it first, head over to the proving grounds, do some normal's. Hop into LFR to get an idea for that new role's responsibilities in in a raid environment.

"I out gear this content but I want to help" We would love to have you help, raiding is about spending time with friends, also you may get pets. Who has not wasted a coin at a chance of a pet? I know I have! So bring your leet sauce pants over and give a hand, coach someone on DPS (If they want it), give strats and be awesome!

"OMG YOUR SO AWESOME ARE YOU SINGLE?"
Sorry, but alas I am tied down....Wait I am being told that no one asked that...Really no one, I could have sworn I had got that one, **Looks through message history** OHHHH sent that to myself, honest mistake.
Skiman86#1729

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:18 am

Hey! Loved the run we just ran today, great people and a lot of fun, I really enjoyed it and would love to participate again next week! Enderbeard the resto shaman :)

This was a great run full of great people, positive attitudes and was really casual yet competent, I recommend it for everyone! Thanks Valkras for putting this together!
Ender

Postby Skiman86#1729 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:27 am

Well another night has passed, and another successful flex was ran, tonight the peoples flex cleared both wing 1 and 2, with minimal wipage, I personally blame Gamon for his low DPS..... Nothing to do with a Paladin Healer alt tabing out by mistake, nope not at all......

Back on track, interest has risen and some people asked for reserved invites, so if you want a spot, leave a comment below, if we get enough people, maybe we can turn the peoples flex into the peoples raid team.

Tonight's rag tag group had a tank with an average ilvl below 500, he did great up to shamans and I applaud him for his skill and tenacity. We also had some great players who were a little geared for the content helping us out, which is great.

Remember, if you want to help the peoples flex, all you need to do is be on at 5:45 server on Wednesday, we try to roll at 6 on the dot. You can also host your own peoples flex, I don't have it trademarked.....yet....

Also, Monday I will be running flex 3 and 4, 5:45 server for invites (Not my normal run, but that term paper ain't going to write itself)

Valkres-Holy Paladin.
Skiman86#1729

Postby Skiman86#1729 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:28 am

Thanks for coming Ender, it was great having you. Your heals were top notch, and your MTT well timed, not that a pally needs that....cause we don't....Ok just one tick...
Skiman86#1729

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:41 pm

lol! It was great healing with you, the synergy of the whole group was amazing and I really like your idea of the People's Raid Team :)

I look forward to next Wednesday, but hopefully I will see you on before then; really can't say enough how much I enjoyed myself last night. I raided in hardcore guilds from BC through Wrath and dabbled mostly in Normals in Cata. I graduated college during Cata and real life took over and, especially in MoP, I have not been able to do any raid content aside from LFR, which I have enjoyed but it never satiated my real thirst for raiding. With our Flex group last night, I was able to see the content from the other perspective and was so glad to be back into it. Thank you for setting this up and for all who were there, Elena and the others did a great job with their raid experience and fight advice and it was the most fun that I've had in MoP yet.

Thank you again, can't wait for next Wednesday! Oh, and we all need a little MTT every now and then ;)
Ender

Next

Return to General Guild Discussion