Convert to Fit!

Talkin' 'bout the guild!

Re: Convert to Fit!

Postby Ariyah » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm not sure if it's sold outside of Canada but it's an artisan bread by Weston, forget the name offhand.
I think if you look for any artisan breads you will find minimal ingredients.
Ariyah

Postby Holliday » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:34 am

Cool thread! Lotsa great stories! I thought I'd share mine.

I gained a lot of weight over the years playing WoW but I lost 50 pounds over the course of about a year and have been able to keep it off. I'm just gearing up to do it all over again though cause I'm ready to go further.

The best advice that was given to me, and something that I've passed on to anyone looking to get in better shape is so simple, but so brilliant: Buy a University level textbook for introductory nutrition. They are typically written for 1st year nursing students and start very basic, leading to a full understanding of nutrients, which is, in my opinion, the key to losing weight without suffering. Here's an example:

http://books.google.ca/books/about/Nutr ... VRgwLhGKgC

These books are usually $100 but it's the best money you will spend on weight loss. It's none of the fads and only what science knows. Once you understand the balance between fat, carbs, and protein, and once you understand which foods you cannot do without because of the vitamins and minerals, and once you build a diet around this, it is downright SHOCKING at how satisfied you are with so much less calories.

Anyways, hope that helps if anyone's interested.

On another note, I recently bought a used recumbent exercise bike for $50 and an adjustable tv tray so I can play wow while on the bike. I haven't set it all up yet cause I'm moving but I'll post a pic soon. If you haven't seen recumbent exercise bikes, they are much more comfortable to sit on so you can play games and watch tv comfortably while using one. Most of them will track calories too. Burning 500 calories a day = burning a pound a week! That's 50 pounds in a year! I'll keep you posted.
Holliday

Postby Moredottzz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi all,
here's my story.
In 2011 i suffered a heart attack at the age of 46, i had been off the smokes for 10 years, was a heavy drinker, but kept myself reasonably fit, i was coaching kids in Australian Rules Football, so was always running doing laps and training with the kids, so i was reasonably fit.
I actually had 4 heart attacks, The main one which caused my fiance to call the ambulance, then i had 1 in the ambulance on the way to hospital, and another 2 in the hospital.
My fiance put me on a program to lose some weight when i left hospital, and i have to admit it worked. It is a total Gluten Free diet, due to the heart attack i couldnt get back into excercising just yet, as it takes time for your heart to heal from the strain, so i had to find other ways of losing some weight. I found the gluten free diet to be great, apart from the bread that is, its like eating bricks. The weight literally just dropped off me, i was never a big junk food eater but even less so now, in 9 months i lost 30kg's (60lbs).
I feel great, i did however go back on the smokes, and kept drinking, not to the amount in which i previously did, but was still drinking.
I am proud now to say, i have given up the smokes, it has been 4 weeks now, i havent had a touch of alcohol for 18months, and have kept the weight off, just by eating the right foods. I dont go to gym, or jog, i do walk a lot, which is great for weight loss also. My Fiance is so proud of me, my 19yr old son and 16 yr old daughter are proud of me, geez, even my ex-wife is proud of me.
I'm happier now and enjoy everything i do a lot more.
So also try and give a Gluten Free diet a go, in Australia we have Gluten Free food sections in the supermarkets, i dont know about over in the States but i'm sure you can get the same stuff from Health Food shops.
Good Luck and keep up the great work.
Moredottzz

Postby Ronninn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:01 pm

JesickaChaos wrote:First, I wanted to say give everyone in here a huge round of applause for sharing your stories and gaining the motivation to change. Both of these things can be difficult to do, as I've had trouble with them myself in the past.

I, too, am doing a sort of Convert to Fit challenge for myself, and I think we can all be huge boosts of motivation to each other. One thing I have discovered about weight loss and keeping fit is that it is a lot easier for most people to do it with others. When you can bounce support off of one another, it makes the burden feel a lot smaller.

My plan is to lose about 50lbs by Blizzcon. I started April 1st with not only regular exercise, but also a completely changed food plan and calorie counting. Due to my living situation, it is extremely hard to keep fresh food in my house and to cook healthy foods. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but trust me, I'm not using it as one. Regardless, I lost 11lbs in April by exercising three times a week and counting my calories(which actually was the biggest eye-opener to my unhealthy habits!), but have found that I've hit a huge weight loss plateau. I haven't changed anything; I still exercise Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I haven't broken down and gone back to my bad eating habits. I'm still pop(soda) free, and haven't touched fast food or highly processed food since I started. But I just can't seem to break into that next 10lbs and beyond. I think it's because I've settled into a rhythm now, and maybe it's time to shake things up.

SpencerHD, I have never heard of Tabatas, but I am going to start trying this, because I think it's just the jump-start my body needs to keep losing weight. Thank you so much for your story and this little bit of information.

I want to be support for you guys =D So let's do these things and get ourselves healthy!

I've found that if you diet too long it slows your metabolism down, so the way I get around it is by having a higher carb day/cheat day once a week so my body doesn't always think I'm dieting. Ideally I'm cutting out 600 calories (around 20%) from my BMR (what I need for daily bodily functions + exercise requirements) 6 days a week, and on Saturday I eat at my BMR (2800 cals for me) and sometimes I little over. I try to eat pretty clean on my carb day with the exception of one meal that I totally cheat on. This helps me in my diet because it gives me a day to look forward to, and minimizes any fat loss stalls I've had.

Hope that helps in some way.

Edit : by the way, I'm following more of what's called a cyclic ketogenic diet, so 6 days a week I'm low carb, high protein and moderate to high fat, but cals are pretty low. On carb load day, carbs are high, protein is moderate and fat is low, and cals are at what I need to stay the same weight, or a tiny bit more.
Ronninn

Postby Geest » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:54 pm

I just wanted to hop into this thread and say you all impress me.

I also wanted to add that, if anyone is looking for some good starter programs for lifting weights (a great way to get your metabolism going) just let me know. I started working out with my wife after we both decided we wanted to be less sedentary and amassed a decent amount of literature and knowledge on lifting. I can at least recommend some good books/programs to look into if you want to get started. I know I feel much better since starting to lift regularly.
Geest

Postby Ronninn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:19 pm

I know it probably took me a little longer then some can lose weight, but in the last 5 months training and doing a cyclic ketogenic diet I've been able to go from 195 lbs at 20% body fat down to 160 at 6.9% bodyfat (as if this past Saturday). I'm 5'9 and my goal weight for next year is to get up to around 180-185 without going over 7% bodyfat.

I might post some pics later even though I'm not fond of posting pics of myself online.
Ronninn

Postby Ariyah » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Hey guys

Had a great idea for this, but wanted to get feedback first.

Since CtR aims to be more than a guild, I was talking to a few people in the guild about an online support system for those of us who are attempting to get into better shape and those of us who have turned their lives around.
I think it would be fun for a bunch of us to kinda be like, "Hey, what's going on? I support you!" to each other.

There'd be fun stuff, like getting those who have got in shape and lost weight to tell us how they did it, inspiration, etc.
It would be off the main forums for those who might not want everyone hearing their personal issues.

If you think you'd want to be a part of something like this, please let me know!
Ariyah

Postby Preditorr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:16 pm

My situation is a bit different from most of my guildes. I'm retired after 36 years of teaching Algebra mostly in middle school. When I came home from school I was exhausted. When I worked out, I always felt glad I had done it, but getting motivated to actually go to the gym was tough. I'm down to 218 from 237. My pants are hanging on me. My waist is down to 35 inches! My long term goal is 195. Here are a couple of things I did...1) I'm basically doing weight Watchers without the meetings. I can eat all the veggies I want, but I've been mixing in a Smart Ones frozen dinner. This is more about portion control than anything else. My wife wants nothing but steamed vegetables. I'm not ready to go there, but throw in a Smart One and they are a little more interesting. I stopped keeping beer in the fridge. I still hoist a few when I'm out, but not at home. 2) When I go to the health club, I increased my time on the treadmill to 43 minutes. You have to keep things Aerobic. the first 30 minutes, you are using sugar/starch for energy. After 30 minutes, you use fat. 40 minutes 3 days a week is better than 30 minutes 4 days a week if losing weight is what you are trying to do. I crank up the incline and run in spurts. Let my heart rate get down to around 120 and spurt again. I'm 62 and haven't run in a while and I'm currently getting to the point where I'm thinking that running may be an option again. I also take pilates twice a week...one group class and one individual. Kind of expensive, but I've found my workouts are better when I hire someone to tell me what to do. If I'm making the decisions, I tend to keep well within my comfort zone. I've joined a masters swim program in the past and noticed the same thing. Simply give someone else absolute power over at least some of your workouts. I incorporate some of the pilates routines into my warmup at the club. 3) Trying to sleep 8 hours a day. I only raid while my wife is at work. Not raiding at night is helping me to sleep better. could be not having a to do list piling up at work helps too!

Guildies, save money and get out of debt. Nothing can mess your head up more thoroughly than worrying about money. We live in a country where most people have next to nothing saved for retirement. It really isn't how much make that determines how much you will be able to save. Three things effect how much you save....How much you put away, how long you save and your interest rate. The most important factor of these is time. You need to learn about the stock market too, because banks, government bonds and annuities simply don't pay you very much.

Preditorr

Postby Ronninn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 am

I mentioned earlier that I would post some before and after pics of my progress so far. The diet I have been following is the TSPA3 diet over at www.musclehack.com .

Today he featured me in his testimonials so I'll link that page as it has the photos I've sent him. I'm pretty embarrassed about my before pictures, but without them you wouldn't have any real context about the changes I've made.

http://www.musclehack.com/20-percent-body-fat-to-10-percent-body-while-building-more-muscle/

I've already shared some of my progress pics with my fellow raiders in League of Extraordinary Avocados, but this seems like a more appropriate forum.

I wish everyone else great success in their fitness endeavors as well :)
Ronninn

Postby zombeemike » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Late to the party, but hey, I'm new here:)
I'm in the exact same boat as the OP. I've lost and gained over my adult life and it is time to lose it all again. I've made a plan for eating and exercise, and the thing that helped me the most in the past is running. Granted, it took me 6 weeks to get one mile without stopping when I started, but 900 miles later and 7 months I had lost 70lbs, was at a healthy weight and I ran my first of 5 marathons. I am 10 weeks out from my first half marathon of the year and hope to drop at least 25 while knocking the rust off.

Like others have mentioned, make a plan, stick to it, and don't beat yourself up if you stumble. Just get back on track and look toward the goal. Cliché but true. I'm on this journey as well, so know you are not alone!

Stankbraid
90 Dwarf Hunter
Stankbraid- Dwarf Hunter
Stankbutt- Worgen Drood
Stankdotcom- Dwarf Warlock
zombeemike

PreviousNext

Return to General Guild Discussion