Convert to Fit!

Talkin' 'bout the guild!

Re: Convert to Fit!

Postby Weru » Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Congratulations to each of you!
I admire your effort.
ImageImage
Views expressed here are not supported, endorsed, or even “Liked” by Government, Civilians, or any other agency or individual.
Medicated for your comfort. Comfort not guaranteed. Experiences may vary.
Weru

Postby JesickaChaos » Tue May 21, 2013 7:44 pm

First, I wanted to say give everyone in here a huge round of applause for sharing your stories and gaining the motivation to change. Both of these things can be difficult to do, as I've had trouble with them myself in the past.

I, too, am doing a sort of Convert to Fit challenge for myself, and I think we can all be huge boosts of motivation to each other. One thing I have discovered about weight loss and keeping fit is that it is a lot easier for most people to do it with others. When you can bounce support off of one another, it makes the burden feel a lot smaller.

My plan is to lose about 50lbs by Blizzcon. I started April 1st with not only regular exercise, but also a completely changed food plan and calorie counting. Due to my living situation, it is extremely hard to keep fresh food in my house and to cook healthy foods. I know that sounds like a cop-out, but trust me, I'm not using it as one. Regardless, I lost 11lbs in April by exercising three times a week and counting my calories(which actually was the biggest eye-opener to my unhealthy habits!), but have found that I've hit a huge weight loss plateau. I haven't changed anything; I still exercise Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I haven't broken down and gone back to my bad eating habits. I'm still pop(soda) free, and haven't touched fast food or highly processed food since I started. But I just can't seem to break into that next 10lbs and beyond. I think it's because I've settled into a rhythm now, and maybe it's time to shake things up.

SpencerHD, I have never heard of Tabatas, but I am going to start trying this, because I think it's just the jump-start my body needs to keep losing weight. Thank you so much for your story and this little bit of information.

I want to be support for you guys =D So let's do these things and get ourselves healthy!
JesickaChaos

Postby Ariyah » Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 pm

What kind of exercise were you doing, Jesicka?

BTW, if anyone wants to add me in game, my b-tag is AriyahJade#1902. A few people were in contact with me over my last post (thank you for the huge support!) and I thought maybe those of us who are in this might need support even in game.
Ariyah

Postby SpencerHD » Tue May 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Hey JesickaChaos,

I am really glad you are going to try out the Tabatas. I think you're right, shaking things up can help a lot. The biggest thing for me with them is even if you are just about to head to bed and you haven't done them yet or you missed one, just do it, it takes 4 minutes. I have done them everywhere from just before work at 7am, to after a late night on mumble at 2:30am. Remember too that if you do a workout, or you do something intense in your day, for me it was shoveling snow this past winter, that counts too as a tabata. Pushing yourself is great, but I know I can get a little OCD over it sometimes and have to reel myself in some.

Food wise we are all different. For me I just cut out everything that could possibly aggravate my system. Dairy, wheat, red meat, I never did drink but that would have definitely been on the list, pop, junk food, and overly processed foods, which includes deli meats. Now I don't expect anyone to jump on board quite as much as I did. I just think maybe doing tests to see if you feel better off something might be worthwhile. Like going 2 weeks without wheat or dairy just to see if you notice a difference in how you feel, your energy levels, how your sleeping, pooping. For me I know when I do start to re-introduce things it's going to be one at a time to see if I notice that I react to something. I already know that even a 6oz steak makes my stomach feel upset and kinda gassy, especially if it isn't a great cut. So when I do want a steak to treat myself I make sure it's a rib-eye, and I cut it in half to not have the full thing.

If you do decide to take something out be sure you are adding something in. You know what a healthy portion size is, you don't want to take out something like rice or potatoes and not add in more salad or steamed veggies. Your body still needs food to keep your metabolism going be sure you aren't skimping down to much. Do you do a shake of any kind? I find my typical breakfast these days is a protein shake with a bowl of cut up apple or pear and some carrots. Then I snack on raw almonds throughout the day along with more fruit and veggies. Things like smoked turkey or leftover chicken make great proteins for lunch. These days I don't like to go more than 2 hours without snacking on something. We have a farmers market locally that sells jerkies too, I am tempted to start making my own, but those that are non-processed home made stuff is great for an on the go snack.

More questions always welcome,
SpencerHD
SpencerHD

Postby Cohumulone » Wed May 22, 2013 11:45 am

SpencerHD wrote:red meat

I now have great sadness in my heart.
Cohumulone

Postby SpencerHD » Wed May 22, 2013 12:02 pm

hehehe, a little bit of red meat doesn't hurt. Just try not to go overboard to often :D and like I said, everyone is different I am just speaking for me.
SpencerHD

Postby goldiekatsu » Thu May 30, 2013 2:05 am

I'm still working my way up to a full fitness program, but I've been using a fitbit to track my steps and have found it fun to see what my friends are doing and have some friendly competitive encouragement. If you would like to friend me I've Goldiekatsu over there and created a group (so it is easier to find other CTR fitbit users). It is Convert to Fitbit.
goldiekatsu

Postby Weru » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:46 am

I have to say that I kinda enjoy the South Beach Diet (or variations of it).

Easy to stay on, you don't loose out on to much other than processed "white" foods (white flour breads & pastas, white sugar, etc). I can actually eat at fast food places and the DFAC on post and not have to toss 2/3rds of my meal. Phase 1 is a change up getting use to eating so many vegetables - but I built 3 large planters and I'm growing most of it now (dang Alabama is to hot for leafy greens though). Cooking is pretty easy once you get the hang of using all the veggies - and actually faster than my old pasta cooking routine.

Blend that with a half-way decent activity program and you'll loose weight. Phase 1 is the most intensive, I lost over 12 lbs in 2 weeks. I anticipate the weight loss to slow down in Phase 2 but getting the initial weight off means that you can actually do more since the old joints aren't taking as much of a beating.
ImageImage
Views expressed here are not supported, endorsed, or even “Liked” by Government, Civilians, or any other agency or individual.
Medicated for your comfort. Comfort not guaranteed. Experiences may vary.
Weru

Postby Ariyah » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:58 am

That's what I've done, my bread and pasta are gone. Well, the yucky white bread. I have found a bread that has 5 ingredients in it and you can pronounce them ALL.
I'm not much of a salad person though so veggies can be difficult. But sit me in front of a bowl of mushrooms and carrots and I devour them. I guess that's what I'll have to do then.

I read on Reddit about the amount of weight you should be losing and went to talk to my doctor about it. Apparently the bigger you are, the more weight you can lose. The 1-2 pounds per week is based on a person who doesn't have that much to lose. However, you still have to be careful that you are not losing too much weight. If you feel nauseous or faint you may not be eating enough. I suggest finding a doctor who knows this fact and working with him.
Ariyah

Postby Saliira » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 am

What was that bread with only 5 ingredients? I'd love to see if it's available in my area.

For anyone who likes reading books about food, I can recommend anything by Michael Pollan
- Omnivore's Dilemma (I have read and enjoyed)
- In Defense of Food (read and enjoyed) (and Food Rules, the 'cliff notes' version)
- Cooked (on kindle for upcoming trip)
- Second Nature (on kindle for upcoming trip)
- The Botany of Desire
Saliira

PreviousNext

Return to General Guild Discussion