Meaning in your name?!

We've created our own community guild with a focus on end game PvE content! If you've got something to say members of this community specifically... this is a good spot.

Meaning in your name?!

Postby Heptarian » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Hello all. Since it seems the forums are not quite as busy as before I thought I would post some topics once in a while to try and boost activity here. So my question to all of you dear readers is: Do you have any reason behind how you have named some of your characters or any story to share on how you named them?

I'll start of course. :-) I have two names I have become fond of over the years and tend to name chars in various games I play in some fashion of these two names. Unfortunately, both of these names were in use on Aerie Peak when I joined the guild so I couldn't use them BUT I'd rather be in the guild than keep the names on another server. Anyway, here goes...

1) SCRIMM I'm going to show my age here but this name came from an actor who creeped me the heck out when I was young after watching an old 1979 horror movie called Phantasm. There is a creepy villain in the movie that goes by the name "The Tall Man" played by the actor, Angus Scrimm (stage name of course). Well, that actor's name has always stuck with me through the years so I always use this name when making gaming characters, just because of the memories it has given me and also because I simply like the name. (I have a char on the server named Skrimm as a replacement.)

Pic of actor:Image

2) DOOKDOOK Years ago I used to live in South Korea for several years, where I met and married my current wife. While living there and before I studied and was learning to speak Korean. Well for no particular reason at all for years I always forgot the Korean word for "monk." But the one thing I never forgot was sometimes when using the subway or trains you would sometimes see a monk there playing a small wooden instrument which he would hit and it would make a "dook dook" sound when he struck it. So, since I could never remember the word for monk itself I would always tell my wife I saw another "dook dook monk" at the train station today and still call them that to this day.

How about you guys. Any interesting character naming stories?

Barkrodgers/Heptarian
Heptarian

Re: Meaning in your name?!

Postby Comos » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:02 pm

I will just do a couple of my toons to start. My very first and still one of my favorites is my priest Comosnaala which I created her way back in classic. I had been also playing the orginal Sims, when the Sims character would answer the phone they would say Comosnaala. So my Comosnaala means Hello in the Sims (classic). So the shortend version, Comos means hi :lol:

Next one has a little sadness because her name was modified when I transferred her to AP. I don't know if any of you have played the Monkey Island series or not, but when the two of the main characters meet on the pier they start calling each other cutesy names as they draw close to each other. One of the names was Plunderbunny and the name stuck with me so I name my mage Plunderbunny. But of course her name was taken when I transferred and so I kept with the pirate theme and made the name Plunderboots. :D I guess a girl just can't get enough boots in her loot bags.
Comos

Postby Krushe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:09 pm

KRUSHE (Finding Nemo Turtle)

The name is based off the turtle Crush in the movie Finding Nemo. On my daughters 8th bday we took her to DisneyLand for the first time. They had this really
cool exhibit where the kids would sit around a movie screen in a small dark room and wait for crush to come talk and interact with them. My daughter loved it
and came home to re-watch the movie.

Shortly after that i got invited to the WotLK Beta and wanted to try a DK. I wanted something to remind me of our Disneyland trip and the turtle came to mind.

KRUSHE was born. I've played the DK ever since (even though they took away my blood dps spec) :D
Krushe

Postby Flybynight » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Here are my character names that I use on a regular basis. Some are currently in the guild, others will be in the near future, once I finish transferring them all over. Let's see if you can guess where I get my names from:

Flybynight
Hemispheres
Vaportrails
Broonsbane
Testforecho
Rollthebones
Lerxt
Redbarchetta
Holdyourfire
Powerwindows
Presto
Flybynight

Postby sarcastard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 pm

SOU- all about the man in black, Johnny Cash..... and I spell it this way to be different, I were the only one with this name for 5 yrs, then boom, everyone copies greatness......lol

SARCASTARD- version of a word from Jerry Seinfield episode, was to be guild name so I had to save it before someone stole it...

ONEONETWO- ... It's an arcane mage......
sarcastard

Postby sensa » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:49 pm

SENSA - I actually got this name from a in-game friend of mine as my hunter used to be called Sensibility. While I thought that name was unique, he always would just called me 'SENSA' so I kinda just embraced it. SOOOO if you havent seen already, call my chars have 'sensa'.... in the name

sensahuntz (hunter)
sensawarz (prot/fury war)
sensadrood (guardian bear)
sensadkight (DK blood/frost)

you get the picture I think...

*wave*

S E N S A - Aerie Peak US
B.N:Sensa#1561
Twitter: @CTRSensa
Twitch:www.twitch.tv/sensagamer
Stream Schedule: Monday/Wednesday/Friday 9pm CST to Midnight | Sat/Sun - varies based on schedule
sensa

Postby Heptarian » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:02 am

Great stories guys and gals...Lol. Hoping to read some more. :D
Heptarian

Postby Amanzi » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:47 am

I have a couple to toons in the guild. My favourite one is Amanzi.
Amanzi is the Zulu word for water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amanzi

Postby Pasha » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Pasha is Turkish for "High Rank" in the Ottoman empire. Its equivalent to the English term "Lord". Its a male name but I dig it. My actual name is Natasha and friends call me "Tasha" for short. SO kinda fits with out using my actual name in game. ;D
Pasha

Postby jimzlock » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:14 pm

my name's jim. thiz iz my lock.
jimzlock

Next

Return to The Convert to Raid Guild [A-Aerie Peak US]