Ask Zhug Anything!

We've created our own community guild with a focus on end game PvE content! If you've got something to say members of this community specifically... this is a good spot.

Re: Just a couple of questions pretty please!

Postby PatKrane » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Hey there Obi!

1. As for raiding at 6am server on a Saturday, I'll say that anything is possible! I know there are several Kiwis and Australians on this sever as well as a few from across the pond. Plus, our server is pretty large, so again... while it sounds like a really tough time for me, I'm not going to say it's out of the realm of possibility. Just a note for noobies to the guild: each team manages themselves, so you'd have to be up to the task for recruiting and I really don't know what to expect with that timeframe.

2. I know we've had several LFR groups in the past with only guild members. Now, it seems like flex is the new LFR, but I'm sure there would still be some that would like to do LFR with a guild team -- especially for new raiders and alts. I did it up until the latest tier, but LFR with the guild is a blast!

Let us know if you have any more questions!
GM of the Convert to Raid Guild
Also: Mhug, Ichabodd, Tikitembo, Sunnava, Morsel, Chugger
PatKrane

Re: Ask Zhug Anything!

Postby Bonemud » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:47 am

Hi Zhug!

One question for ya. What is your favorite source for sound effects and musical tracks? Or is it just a library you've built up over years and years that has come from all over the place?
Team Lead of <Coalesce>
Bonemud

Postby PatKrane » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:26 am

Bonemud wrote:Hi Zhug!

One question for ya. What is your favorite source for sound effects and musical tracks? Or is it just a library you've built up over years and years that has come from all over the place?

There are a couple of places that I've picked up my audio (well, more than a couple), but here are a few libraries that I'm liking right now. These are all Royalty Free, and currently their licenses state that all songs have free unlimited sync for your projects.

http://sound-ideas.com -- these guys are a little dated and a little cheezy, but sometimes that's exactly what you're looking for!

http://shockwave-sound.com -- great action themes that are broken down with all sorts of different parts and pieces, but they have a wide variety of music that sounds completely awesome.

http://premiumbeat.com -- a new discovery, but I like what I've heard. I just wish they sold pieces in albums instead of separately.

This is a great time to tell you guys this, and I'm going to put it in large letters for you guys to really pay attention to:

Always check your EULA when it comes to music

Especially now with the recent changes to the algorithms used on YouTube, you really need to understand music licensing because this one thing can stop your production from being able to monetize properly. You should also understand copyright law to a certain extent if you're planning to get into the biz. The more you know, the better!
PatKrane

Postby Solarflair » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:53 pm

How did I get here? Who are you? Who am I?
Why does my back ache?
Hello?
Solarflair
Site Admin

Postby Ailiya » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:40 am

Hey Pat

Your last post actually touched on my last concern. I have 2 projects in development. I did research a bit into using music for a show open. Problem I found is due to it being more a legal issue most people keep it vague in their responses. I read somewhere about a creative commons license or ability to use portion of material as long as it is unmodified or the creator/author/composer is credited.

So since you mentioned it above in terms of legality and permission say I wanted to use pieces of music, from soundtracks, which fit thetheme of my shows. what advice would you give? Contact the picture studio which released the movies/tv show I.e (Disney, bad robot) ? Or the composer I.e Michael giaquino, hans zimmer, Trevor Rabin.? Or their respective agents/law representitives?

I know the composers are popular so I'd personally like to avoid legal issues, but some of their pieces would work well. The whole written expressed permission, still around today?

Any advice/help you can give would be... well... helpful...

Thank you again and happy holidays to you, yours, and the whole CTR community.
Tony S
Ailiya

Postby PatKrane » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Ailiya wrote:Hey Pat

Your last post actually touched on my last concern. I have 2 projects in development. I did research a bit into using music for a show open. Problem I found is due to it being more a legal issue most people keep it vague in their responses. I read somewhere about a creative commons license or ability to use portion of material as long as it is unmodified or the creator/author/composer is credited.

So since you mentioned it above in terms of legality and permission say I wanted to use pieces of music, from soundtracks, which fit thetheme of my shows. what advice would you give? Contact the picture studio which released the movies/tv show I.e (Disney, bad robot) ? Or the composer I.e Michael giaquino, hans zimmer, Trevor Rabin.? Or their respective agents/law representitives?

I know the composers are popular so I'd personally like to avoid legal issues, but some of their pieces would work well. The whole written expressed permission, still around today?

Any advice/help you can give would be... well... helpful...

Thank you again and happy holidays to you, yours, and the whole CTR community.
Tony S

Any time you (want to) use other people's music, you need to be extremely cautious. You have to understand copyright vs. fair use vs. parody vs. well... everything else. I'm not a lawyer, so I couldn't tell you all the specifics. Just know that the risk is pretty high, especially if you're using someone else's music as your theme song.

Now, playing devil's advocate a little bit. Can you get away with it? Maybe. But realize that your podcast is around for a long, long time... and if it's up on YouTube (which it should be), there could be hell to pay. Yes, fire and brimstone could come knocking on your door.

If someone hands you a cease and desist for their copyrighted material and it's in your theme, you are SCREWED. You'd have to take down EVERY SINGLE EPISODE, rework the beginning and reupload. You'll be depressed and angry by that risky decision you made, and it could kill your passion for the project.

So, you'll need permission from the copyright holder. Every song produced should have credits available either online or in the liner notes on the CD or album (yes, those still exist). Written by, performed by... those won't get you where you want to go. The part you want to look at is after the ©. It's usually the big record company. There may also be contact information available in that same material, so look close at that tiny print!

Even with permission, if your stuff is up on YouTube, you most likely will not be able to monetize the show properly. The way ContentID works, you'd be fighting YouTube for the first week your episodes are available (if not more), which is when you'd be getting most of your hits (I'm assuming). I don't have much experience dealing with YouTube, but it sounds like a nightmare.

So... I would highly recommend that you stay clear of other people's music, especially for a theme. But good luck in your project, and I hope it's a success for you!
PatKrane

Postby Wyrmfang » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi Zhug;

I am new to raiding and have had no luck getting a perm raid team Part of the problem is I live on the west coast and work M-F until 5 (8 eastern) I play a lot on weekends but while I have pugged Flex 13/14 and normals 8/14 I am worried I have missed the boat this expac. I am a warrior and I love melee but it is hard to compete with heroic melee in the guild for raid spots. I check the raid forums regularly but many raid times don't match my availability or teams are on heroic now and don't want a new raider. should I call it for MoP? I really want at least a flex Garrosh kill but no flex groups are on by the time I get home from work, do household chores and get online.

Do you think the start of a new expac will be a better time to join a raid team? Or is my play style too casual to raid?
Wyrmfang

Postby PatKrane » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Wyrmfang wrote:Hi Zhug;

I am new to raiding and have had no luck getting a perm raid team Part of the problem is I live on the west coast and work M-F until 5 (8 eastern) I play a lot on weekends but while I have pugged Flex 13/14 and normals 8/14 I am worried I have missed the boat this expac. I am a warrior and I love melee but it is hard to compete with heroic melee in the guild for raid spots. I check the raid forums regularly but many raid times don't match my availability or teams are on heroic now and don't want a new raider. should I call it for MoP? I really want at least a flex Garrosh kill but no flex groups are on by the time I get home from work, do household chores and get online.

Do you think the start of a new expac will be a better time to join a raid team? Or is my play style too casual to raid?

It's hard to compete with heroic melee for a regular raid spot on a casual-ish team? That doesn't sound right. I know a lot of teams are getting into heroics these days, but don't let that make you think that you're out until WoD. Teams change all the time, people drift in and out of game, and just this week there was a HUGE round of bans throughout WoW.

While it sucks that players were banned for any reason, this could be a good chance for you to get some normal kills as a pug. Once you've proven yourself as a pug, raid leaders look to you to become a regular fill-in or even a regular. It can feel like a slow process, but don't count yourself out!

Your playstyle isn't casual by any means, as it sounds like you really tear it up when you can. But your schedule is a limiting factor. With that said, there are PLENTY of teams that only raid one or two times a week that you could probably fit into.

If you're finding it difficult to even find Flex groups, then jump to places like OQueue and see if you can find a group in there... or better yet, start one of your own. When I first started raiding on a regular basis, I had to become the raid leader because I wanted to play in the morning. So I started my own team and we lasted for almost 3 years!

Everything you want to do in game can be done. You need to apply yourself, however, and will need a great deal of commitment and some bravery to get it done. Good luck!
PatKrane

Postby Hoome » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Hey Zhug I'm new to ctr, but have enjoyed the podcast since it was just a segment on aie. My question is about voice over work. How on earth does one get started? Forever I've thought doing voice over would be a blast and while I've dabbled very conservatively doing narration on a few YouTube videos, I'd really like to put more into it and potentially land some paid work.
For the purposes of this question assume I have appropriate equipment and reasonable talent (I'm not suggesting the latter is necessarily true, but want to keep the question focused). What do I do to put myself out there?

Thanks! And thanks for orchestrating this awesome community; I am loving it here so far!
Hoome

Postby PatKrane » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 am

Hoome wrote:Hey Zhug I'm new to ctr, but have enjoyed the podcast since it was just a segment on aie. My question is about voice over work. How on earth does one get started? Forever I've thought doing voice over would be a blast and while I've dabbled very conservatively doing narration on a few YouTube videos, I'd really like to put more into it and potentially land some paid work.
For the purposes of this question assume I have appropriate equipment and reasonable talent (I'm not suggesting the latter is necessarily true, but want to keep the question focused). What do I do to put myself out there?

Thanks! And thanks for orchestrating this awesome community; I am loving it here so far!

There are a couple of ways to go here, so I'll just touch on them briefly and leave you to your own devices a bit.

1) Get an agent. A real live person knowing who you are and parsing through the rubble to get to you is always a good thing. They'll have you try out for stuff regularly! If you live near a fairly good sized metro area, you should be able to find something. If you live in a small town, you may go to your local radio station and see what they might recommend.

2) Get online. There are a couple of sites like voice123.com and voices.com that a lot of clients go to. You can try out for lots of different projects of various sizes. Yes, it costs money to join, though you can usually see projects even with a free account.

Not all online agencies are created equal. Some places let you bid your own rates, some sites offer voiceovers for $5. DO NOT UNDERVALUE YOURSELF, YOUR ARTISTRY, YOUR VOICE, OR YOUR SKILLS.

Yes, I'm a snob when it comes to this stuff, because I believe that you should pay for quality in whatever line of work you're in. If I go out for steak, I don't want the $2 steak. If I buy a suit, I don't want the one for $30. I want quality and someone that believes completely in their work!

3) Get a job in the industry. Work at a radio or TV station, advertising or any other place with a studio and let the production people know you want to do voice work. It doesn't matter what your JOB is there, just put yourself in a place were serendipity can blossom.

Of course, to get there, you may need a demo. You will most likely want to pay a producer for this. Look up local production houses and see what their rates are. You can do it yourself, but it's an art form that is really best left up to seasoned producers that can bring the best of your voice and personality to the forefront.

You may also want to get a voiceover coach or take some acting lessons too! Check your area for both before looking to online coaches. I always think you can get so much more from face to face interaction.

Hopefully that gives you a starting point! Good luck, and let me know if you have more questions.
PatKrane

PreviousNext

Return to The Convert to Raid Guild [A-Aerie Peak US]