Ask Zhug Anything!

We've created our own community guild with a focus on end game PvE content! If you've got something to say members of this community specifically... this is a good spot.

Ask Zhug Anything!

Postby PatKrane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Okay guildies... even you non-guildies!

ASK ME ANYTHING

I've decided to have my own little AMA right here in these forums for a couple of reasons.
1) I know some of you have questions about the guild and its policies.
2) I've heard reports of people being intimidated to ask me questions.
3) I want to make sure we can all have a conversation!

It's super important to me that I make sure to keep myself open to you guys... ask away. About the guild, podcasting, raiding, me... whatever!
GM of the Convert to Raid Guild
Also: Mhug, Ichabodd, Tikitembo, Sunnava, Morsel, Chugger
PatKrane

Re: Ask Zhug Anything!

Postby smawhorter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:35 pm

First! LOL.

I will admit that I did not do an exhaustive forum search, but is there a place on our guild forums where people/teams can post and discuss specific boss strategies? It seems to me that we have a metric ton of raiding knowledge here and it would be nice to be able to tap into some of it (I'm beernerd so I tend to "tap" things :D )
Image Image
Yes, I have a 90 of every class!
smawhorter

Postby PatKrane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:43 pm

smawhorter wrote:First! LOL.

I will admit that I did not do an exhaustive forum search, but is there a place on our guild forums where people/teams can post and discuss specific boss strategies? It seems to me that we have a metric ton of raiding knowledge here and it would be nice to be able to tap into some of it (I'm beernerd so I tend to "tap" things :D )

You bet we have a place for discussing boss strategies, and you don't have to go very far to find it! Off of the front page, you should see a section for Boss Strat Discussions (Under the World of Warcraft header), or here's the direct link: viewforum.php?f=27
PatKrane

Postby smawhorter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:48 pm

PatKrane wrote:
smawhorter wrote:First! LOL.

You bet we have a place for discussing boss strategies, and you don't have to go very far to find it! Off of the front page, you should see a section for Boss Strat Discussions (Under the World of Warcraft header), or here's the direct link: viewforum.php?f=27

Does it need moved? It doesn't look like it gets used very much (it doesn't even have any SoO boss strats in it...)
Image Image
Yes, I have a 90 of every class!
smawhorter

Postby PatKrane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:07 pm

smawhorter wrote:
PatKrane wrote:
smawhorter wrote:
Does it need moved? It doesn't look like it gets used very much (it doesn't even have any SoO boss strats in it...)

Like all content on the forums, it's up to the users to start conversations... so go ahead and start one!

i know that some people put strats into their individual team pages, but we have that section as well. If you feel like it should be moved, let me know where. I figured that the FRONT PAGE would be a pretty good place for it. ;)
PatKrane

Postby mayorbee » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Pat,

What made you start podcasting? Is CTR your first podcasting experience? What kinds of equipment are in your recording room?
mayorbee

Postby PatKrane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:56 pm

mayorbee wrote:Pat,

What made you start podcasting? Is CTR your first podcasting experience? What kinds of equipment are in your recording room?

I actually talked quite a bit about this in detail during the latest Azeroth Roundtable podcast (#37) right here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/aze ... 06102?mt=2

I started talking about podcasting with Ben and Jon at around the 1:36:00 mark

The TL;DR -- I started working in radio and loved everything about it, and podcasting was a great home for me because of everything that it brings.

My first podcast was The Independent Music Podcast in 2006 -- there's 2 listings for it in iTunes, and both are mine. It was short lived, maybe a little before its time. I was brought back into it doing end segments for the AIE podcast a few months before we started CtR. At the same time, I was on an episode of My Epic Heals... like #7 or something... and I was hooked back into podcasting.

Equipment: I have a LOT of stuff, so much that it's bonkers. I have 2 computers, a 12 channel mixer, many audio I/Os like the Scarlett 2i2, the Akai EIE, PreSonus Audiobox USB and others. This hardware solution replaces a software solution previously offered by Apple... it's unfortunate, but it's STABLE, and I haven't had a technical difficulty since I set it up.

Mics that I use for podcasting and my voice work include: Electrovoice RE-20, Shure SM7B, and others. I also use a Sennheiser MKH-60 shotgun mic for my work on Legendary, and have a Audio-Technica AT-4047 condenser mic for other assorted voice work. There are others too, but I've been a mic junky for YEARS and always have an application for the mic before I purchase.

I also have 5 guitars, a bass, a ukulele, a keyboard I use for midi (hooked into Logic), and various percussion instruments. And many different wires and cords. Too many!
PatKrane

Postby Lacotll » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Hey Zhug!

A friend and I are thinking about starting a podcast in January. Neither of us really have a clue what we're doing, though. Any advice to get us started?

Thanks!
Lacotll

Postby PatKrane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Lacotll wrote:Hey Zhug!

A friend and I are thinking about starting a podcast in January. Neither of us really have a clue what we're doing, though. Any advice to get us started?

Thanks!

Yep! i always have advice, but I'll make this as universal as possible for anyone reading this post.

1) It really helps to know your tech. The more you know about different ways you can prepare and deliver your content, the more you'll be able to make meaningful decisions that will impact your podcast. Everything from mics to recording techniques to software to final output (and where it's stored) all need to be weighed and measured... and stumbling through the tech can push your show in a direction that you may regret later. This part is usually correctable, but I don't think enough podcasts understand that people really can and will appreciate production and sound when it comes with content that they love.

2) Understand your competition, and be different. If you're creating a podcast, know who else is creating content before you start. If you're competing directly with another show, having an idea of why your show is (or will be) different from those other shows will be KEY. Do something different, even if the overall content is the same... and do at least one thing much better than your competitors.

If you're thinking of starting a WoW Podcast, listen to Realm Maintenance to figure out who else is doing a show. I don't know the actual number, but there are over 50 different WoW shows! How will YOU stick out? What is going to be the reason people will turn away from their favorite podcasts to become your fan? If you feel like you can't do something better or different than your competition, than why do you need to do the show, or better yet: Why would someone else want to listen to your show?

3) Being super focused is okay! I call it having a vector, and I've talked about it quite a bit with others. A vector has both direction and speed. Pick a direction, and set realistic goals for yourselves that can be acoomplished over the first 6 months. Follow your vector, and do it closely... especially at the beginning. Come up with a plan and try to follow it as best you can. If you find that you have to improvise, make sure you're still following your vector as closely as possible.

4) Appreciate your listeners. Bring them into the conversation as much as you can, no matter how many there are. At CTR, I was blown away when we had a couple dozen downloads on our first episode, and I continue to be amazed that we've been able to impact so many people around the globe. Keep every one of them in mind as you build your shows and try to build their trust in your show as a consistent rock that they can lean on.

5) Social Media, websites, etc. are IMPORTANT. Learn them. All of them. Included in social media: YouTube. Did you know that YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine online? Figure out how you can harness its power!

Okay... I think those are some good basics. If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Thanks for the question!
PatKrane

Postby Xanates » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Alrighty Zhug, two questions!

1) What's your favorite thing about playing a resto-druid?

2) If you had to pick another healing class/spec to play instead of a druid (let's imagine there was a large forest fire :twisted: ) which would you choose?
ImageImage
Xanates

Next

Return to The Convert to Raid Guild [A-Aerie Peak US]